Resources for parents & Children
Some families find Facebook groups very helpful for connecting with other parents and for getting support and tips from other families.
- Families tell us they find talking to other parents with children with similar needs is really helpful.
- One family recommended this video produced in Scotland which addresses the emotional impact of feeding tube care: https://www.cen.scot.nhs.uk/educational-resources-dvds/
Some families have recommended clothing which has been adapted for easy access to a gastrostomy. Marks and Spencer’s sell clothes with pockets for feeding tubes:
Resources for explaining gastrostomies to children and siblings
Some parents have shared tips with us about how to explain what a gastrostomy is to their child or other siblings. Here are some ideas:
- You might find it helpful to buy or make a doll or teddy with a gastrostomy for your child to play with. There are various places you can buy dolls or teddies with gastrostomies, and other medical devices.
Some parents tell us books about gastrostomies can be helpful for their children. Here are a few examples parents and clinicians have recommended:
- e.g. A guide for children who need a gastrostomy https://www.gkcct.org/article/new-booklets-children
- e.g. Picture book on tube feeding for children https://www.theabilitiesinme.com/products/tube-feeding
There are further stories and activities that can be downloaded on this site:
The Billy Bear Button Gastrostomy story and Cameron Camel Pump story are particularly good resources for children.